Tell my people they must prevail over the gates!!
This is what I believe I heard from the Lord in recent days: “Tell my people they must prevail over the gates for My vision and mission for the FGBA to come to pass”
For several days this week, after returning home from the National Summit, my spirit had become very heavy, almost to the point of depression. It was as if He had put the burden of prayers from people asking about prevailing over the gates on my spirit. I asked Him “Why? What is the matter? What is going on?”
I sensed His reply: “Many of my people still don’t have enough revelation of what prevailing over the gates is about and why it is essential that My people do this. I have called you into the FGBA for such a time as this and you are to lead My people into prevailing over the gates”.
What are gates?
The word “gate” in the original language can be defined as a large opening through a wall, a structure closing, or enclosure; or a barrier created so that people and things can pass to another area, a new area. A gate opens the way to something different. It is a passageway or a channel, an avenue. Gates, because of their function in the Old Testament cities, took on a symbolic meaning. Both the prophets and Christ Himself used this symbolism.
A study of the Old Testament Bible shows city gates had four main functions:
- A place where access into cities, marketplaces and the temple is controlled and fortified protection is provided (Josh. 2:7; 7:5; Judg. 16:2-3; 18:16-17; 2 Kings 11:6; 14:13).
- A place where legal or government leaders of the city sat to determine and decree judicial decisions (Gen. 19:1; Deut. 25:7; 2 Sam. 19:8; Lam. 5:14).
- A place where significant business functions and social activities occurred and where business contracts were agreed to and witnessed (Gen. 34:24; Ruth 4:1,11; 2 Sam. 15:2).
- A place where the prophets delivered and decreed the prophetic messages to the elders of the city (1 Kings 22:10; 2 Chron. 18:9; Jer. 7:2; 17:19).
The temple also had gates and gatekeepers
- 2 Chronicles 23:19: And he set the GATEKEEPERS at the GATES of the house of the Lord, so that no one who was in any way unclean should enter.
The gates are symbolic of God’s provision for His people and the way for His blessings to flow to His people and keep them safe:
- Gen. 22:17: blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the GATE of their enemies.
- Isa. 26:2: Open the GATES, that the righteous nation which keeps the truth may enter in.
- Isa. 60:11: Therefore your GATES shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day or night, that men may bring to you the wealth of the Gentiles, and their kings in procession.
- Isa. 62:10: Go through, go through the GATES! Prepare the way for the people; build up, build up the highway! Take out the stones, lift up a banner for the peoples!
The gates are also symbolic of evil powers that war against the souls of people and against the church (ecclesia – the called-out ones) that Christ is building:
- Isa. 38:10: I said, “In the prime of my life I shall go to the GATES of Sheol; I am deprived of the remainder of my years."
- Isa. 45:2: “I will go before you and make the crooked places straight; I will break in pieces the GATES of bronze and cut the bars of iron."
- Jer. 51:58: Thus says the LORD of hosts: “The broad walls of Babylon shall be utterly broken, and her high GATES shall be burned with fire; the people will labour in vain, and the nations, because of the ﬁre; and they shall be weary."
- Matt. 16:18: “And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the GATES of Hades shall not prevail against it.”
Thus there are spiritual gates around us, above us and below us. There are spiritual gates in each of the following
- Arts, entertainment and sports
- Business and finance
- Church and religion
- Distribution, media and communications,
- Family and community
- Government and law.
What does it mean to prevail?
To prevail means to prove more powerful or superior, win through, triumph, be victorious, be the victor, gain the victory, carry the day, come out ahead, come out on top, succeed, prove superior, conquer, overcome, gain/achieve mastery, gain ascendancy.
In summary, we are to keep the gates (windows) of heaven above us to keep them open to advance His kingdom here on earth, occupy the gates of our enemies (Genesis 22:17) and sit at the gates around us, allowing righteousness through but not unrighteousness.
So, what does it mean to prevail over the gates?
We prevail by using the 8 W’s during our gate meetings and during our family alter times, using the heavenly rhythm/pattern of the Lord’s prayer. We prevail by first WORSHIPPING our Heavenly Father; by decreeing His WAYS – “Your kingdom come”, remembering that the kingdom of God is not in words but in power; by confirming His WILL (“Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”); by reading, consuming, believing and acting on His WORD; WITNESS by sharing testimonies of Christ, His love and forgiveness; by doing the WORKS of the Father, using the gifts from Abba Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; by acting as watchmen at the gates, like the sons of Issachar who knew the signs of the times by WATCHING AND PRAYING, loving and forgiving those who trespassed against us; and lastly, by WALKING out into the marketplaces, appointed to His Kingdom, anointed with His power and adorned with His glory with an open heaven above us.
FGBA Gatekeepers should already have the FGBA MDN 3 Manual – God and Nations where the 8Ws are explained in greater detail. If you don’t have a copy and want one, please contact your Gate leader who will then contact the State Director who will make arrangements for you to receive a copy via Dropbox.
Among many things I believe about God, I believe He does not call us into a battle He does not intend for us to win. So please, as Jesus says: “prevail against the gates, for My vision and mission for the FGBA to come to pass”
I believe it is essential we get in the groove/rhythm of the 8Ws before the next National Summit, which will, I believe, focus on discipling. Jesus was already in this groove when He started out on His ministry. There was no evidence of signs and wonders when He first called His disciples to follow Him. As they followed Him, they witnessed who He is, with signs and wonders following Him wherever He went.
Note: I shared the outline of this with Anthony Connell a couple of days ago and I felt a prompting to ask him to write an article on “Prevailing over the gates using worship”. This he has done, and I thank the Lord for his willingness to share what the Lord had revealed to him. The article is published on the FGBA Website News section.
I welcome testimonies from others on parts the 8Ws to prevail over the gates, as I am sure they will serve to encourage us to persist faithfully in committing to and prevailing over the gates.
FGBA National Chairman