My business career in Financial Services spanned over 35 years and as I say in my personal testimony, I would not have survived and prospered if it wasn’t for God’s hand on my life and His Call for me to bring His Kingdom into His business world.
But I have to say, that there were many seasons when I found life and business was very tough. In fact, there were many times of struggles, when economic conditions downturned, or when we had to achieve unrealistic corporate expectations with limited resources, or simply when things just went wrong and didn’t go to plan.
So what do you do when things in your life, ministry or business simply don’t go to plan?
Well, one of the important lessons that God taught me is that sometimes I have to “take the brave pill”. Joshua 1:6-9 says:
"6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
For the tough times in my life and business, I found this scripture really helpful. Look at some of the keys:
- “Be strong and courageous” – God has an inheritance for us. I found that it was helpful to go back to the Vision and Mission that God gave me for my business and then get into prayer to build up my faith to push forward during tough times.
- “Obey all the Laws” – this was really calling me out to look at myself and check for “sin” both intentional and unintentional. Was I trying to do things my way or God’s way? This would lead to continual reflection and repentance.
- “Meditate on God’s Laws day and night” – for me, this was a call to go beyond praying; to really “press in and seek” God’s blueprint, plans and purposes for my life and business.
- “Then you will be prosperous and successful”- this is a promise from God
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” – again God is reminding me to be strong and courageous, not to be discouraged and that He will be with me.
So what are your life, ministry or business challenges at the moment?
Do you need to go back to the Vision and Mission God has given to you and then “take the brave pill” and seek God’s plans, so that you can cross into His promises for your life and business.
Director, Business and Finance